SELF-GROW CAT GRASS FAQs
Pet Greens Easy Self-Grow Cat Grass Kits include Garden (wheatgrass) and Medley (oat, rye and barley blend) varieties.
- Before opening the bag, turn it over and carefully make about 10 small holes in the bottom with a ballpoint pen, large paper clip or other sharpish, poker-type thing. PLEASE be careful not to poke your fingers or other body parts!
- Tear open the bag at the notch located about a third of the way down from the top.
- Remove the small foil packet of seeds. You will notice the growing instructions are also printed on the foil bag in both English and French.
- Open the foil packet and spread the seeds evenly across the top of the soil. Then lightly mix the seeds into the top 1/4 inch of soil – just enough so that they are covered, but not too deep.
- Place the bag on a saucer or in a shallow bowl, then CAREFULLY pour about 1 cup of water into the bag, trying not to disturb the seeds as much as possible. Once the water soaks in, if there are a lot of seeds resting on top of the soil you can just poke them down a bit with your finger.
- Place the bag and saucer in a warm, out-of-the-way place that does not get a lot of light. Check the bag daily to make sure the soil stays moist, and water as needed.
- Your seeds should start to sprout in about 3 days. Once you see the little sprouts poking up out of the soil, move the bag and saucer to a bright, well-ventilated location (although not in direct sunlight). At this point you want to water about every 3 days, or more frequently if necessary to prevent the soil from drying out completely.
That’s it! Your Pet Greens Cat Grass is ready to be enjoyed by your pets when the grass reaches about 2 inches in height. It can grow up to 7” high, but should be trimmed at about the 5” point to keep it fresh and healthy. For more information and tips on keeping your grass fresher longer, please see “Cat Grass care Instructions” on this website.
Self-Grow Cat Grass kits are best used within 18 months of the manufacturer’s date, which can be found on a sticker on the back of the bag. They don’t have an expiration date, but after 18 months some of the seeds may not germinate.
We offer our 100% Certified Organic Cat Grass in a self-grow kit as well, containing the same seed and custom soil mixture we use to grow the live Cat Grass. Pet Greens Garden is wheatgrass and Pet Greens Medley is a mixture of oat, rye and barley grasses. It can be grown right out of the bag or customers can choose to plant it in their own container, as long as it has appropriate drainage.